--> Two deaths and a funeral – A strange tale | Roads2Take

Two deaths and a funeral – A strange tale

RCAF Sergeant William H. Willis Twenty-one years ago, I was at a meeting in Bangkok when I got the call. My dad was dying. He was diagno...

RCAF Sergeant William H. Willis
Twenty-one years ago, I was at a meeting in Bangkok when I got the call. My dad was dying. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer that had spread throughout his body. He was immediately put into in-home hospice.

Two days later I was home. My dad had turned yellow. Liver failure. My brother, sister, and mother took turns sitting with him. At one point, he awoke to find me holding his hand as I was reading a dog-eared copy of Starship Troopers. He looked at the book, then at me, and said “I love you.” Within a week my dad had passed. We were there for the literal last gasp.

I was given the task of calling the Canadian relatives. I used the office where my mother had been sleeping. It was a quiet corner of the house. Tears flowed as I made the calls. My face was damp as I reached for a nearby cloth. Only when I was finished with the calls did I realize that the cloth was my mother’s dirty underwear.

My brother and I skipped the viewing of the body at the mortuary and left that to my mom and sister, April. When April returned, she had an interesting story. A man we did not know, came to the viewing and told her that our dad was the most important person in his life. “What? What did dad do,” we asked her. “I don’t know,” she said, “but we’ll learn more tomorrow at the funeral.

Dad’s grave site was on a small hillside at the Olivewood Cemetery in Riverside. We arrived early and stood near the casket. The family in black, but for my nephew in his Coast Guard dress whites. A bagpiper played Amazing Grace. As people walked up the hill, they would meet our eyes and give a somber nod. My sister and I exchanged dark jokes. Then she said, “That's him!”

It was the mystery man. The person with a new tale about our father. Our father was the most important person in his life. Who, what, where and how? The answer was close. He slowly walked up the hill. April and I stopped exchanging jokes, now focusing on this figure, this face for clues about our father.

The bagpiper was in his mournful stride now, Amazing Grace, both dread and inspiration.

The stranger walked to the grave directly opposite of us, never meeting our gaze, but only looking at the casket. Then he fell over and died.

My nephew, who at that time jumped out of helicopters to save lives jumped into action. Someone else also joined him.

The piper kept playing “Amazing grace…”

A fire truck and an ambulance arrived. Soon a crowd was around the stranger.

And the piper kept playing “Amazing grace…”

The stranger was gone, but the mystery from 21 years ago remains.


COMMENTS

BLOGGER: 2
  1. Beautifully written Bill. Thanks for sharing this part of your life. The quote is my inspiration for today.

    ReplyDelete

Name

Abu Dhabi,5,Away,54,Bangkok,2,Beijing,1,Bhaktapur,1,Blockade,5,Bread,1,California,1,Cambodia,1,China,3,Chitwan,1,Cooking,1,Earthquake,3,Favorites,1,Festivals,5,Food,5,gardening,1,Journeys,3,kathmandu,24,Life in the Valley,3,Monkeys,2,Nepal,28,Photography,2,Raksi,1,Recipes,1,Rhino,1,Ricoh Theta S,1,Soap Box,1,Ta Prohm,1,The Expatriate Experience,14,This Digital Life,1,This Expatriate Life,8,Tibet,1,Tiger,1,Travel,9,Travel Classics,4,Working Overseas,1,Yeti,1,
ltr
item
Roads2Take: Two deaths and a funeral – A strange tale
Two deaths and a funeral – A strange tale
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi_pbhISIXC5azX0jbaglNfQM4EzlBYVx7gZMmxTWolDH_Uq70O1Jn1favphCxz2KpTzck8D37PSnGps0x-qvciE_m8RHcWqf63-BmOLWeMWODkVu5zITudHBCD4HXoTpmZifsvufl2j9k/s320/Screen+Shot+2018-10-30+at+9.41.28+AM.png
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi_pbhISIXC5azX0jbaglNfQM4EzlBYVx7gZMmxTWolDH_Uq70O1Jn1favphCxz2KpTzck8D37PSnGps0x-qvciE_m8RHcWqf63-BmOLWeMWODkVu5zITudHBCD4HXoTpmZifsvufl2j9k/s72-c/Screen+Shot+2018-10-30+at+9.41.28+AM.png
Roads2Take
https://kathmandu-gurus.blogspot.com/2018/10/two-deaths-and-funeral-strange-tale.html
https://kathmandu-gurus.blogspot.com/
https://kathmandu-gurus.blogspot.com/
https://kathmandu-gurus.blogspot.com/2018/10/two-deaths-and-funeral-strange-tale.html
true
2473308259844856463
UTF-8
Loaded All Posts Not found any posts VIEW ALL Readmore Reply Cancel reply Delete By Home PAGES POSTS View All RECOMMENDED FOR YOU LABEL ARCHIVE SEARCH ALL POSTS Not found any post match with your request Back Home Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat January February March April May June July August September October November December Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec just now 1 minute ago $$1$$ minutes ago 1 hour ago $$1$$ hours ago Yesterday $$1$$ days ago $$1$$ weeks ago more than 5 weeks ago Followers Follow THIS PREMIUM CONTENT IS LOCKED STEP 1: Share to a social network STEP 2: Click the link on your social network Copy All Code Select All Code All codes were copied to your clipboard Can not copy the codes / texts, please press [CTRL]+[C] (or CMD+C with Mac) to copy Table of Content